Memorial day has always been the official start of summer. Picnics and bar-b-ques are the order of the day. Create this unique tray to bring all your goodies to the table this Memorial Day.
- 3 sheets of high quality inkjet paper, matte finish
- 1 sheet of solid paper, such as card stock
- Unfinished wood tray, about 11.5″ x 14.5″ (or you can use pre-painted tray to save time)
- Acrylic gesso paint (not needed if using pre-painted tray
- Dark blue acrylic craft paint (not needed if using pre-painted tray
- Lightweight board, such as mat board, cut to the inside dimensions of the tray
- Spray Mount Artist’s Adhesive
- Glue stick
- Glass, cut to the inside dimensions of the tray
- Craft knife and cutting mat
- Foam brush
- Metal ruler with cork back
- Sandpaper, medium grit (not needed is using pre-painted tray)
- (Skip to step 3 if using a pre-painted tray) With gesso and a foam brush, prime the entire surface of the tray. Allow the tray to dry thoroughly. Apply a second coat of gesso and allow it to dry. With the foam brush, cover the surface of the tray with blue acrylic craft paint. Allow it to dry thoroughly as well.
- Sand the surface of the tray lightly with medium-grit sandpaper, rubbing away part of the surface paint to create a distressed appearance.
- Print Vintage Workshop image of signature sheet from collection - Liberty - IE183 Download Collection - onto two sheets of inkjet paper. Additional sheets may be necessary, depending on the size of your tray. Cut signature sheets into small shapes with straight or angled sides. With glue stick, adhere the small pieces randomly around the outer 2 inches of the lightweight board. Overlap the pieces to create a collage effect for the background. Trim away any excess paper from the outer edges of the board with a craft knife.
- Print Vintage Workshop image of lady liberty from the same collection - Liberty - IE183 Download Collection - onto inkjet paper. Cut out the image. With Spray Mount, adhere the image to a sheet of solid paper, applying slight pressure to secure it in place. Trim 1/4″ from the edges of image to create a narrow board all around.
- With Spray Mount, adhere the image to the center of the board, applying slight pressure to secure in place. Place the board against the bottom of the tray, pressing firmly.
- Place piece of glass inside the bottom of the tray, covering the mat board.