The charm of any good fashion accessory project is in the details. By creating tiny vintage image collages between glass, you can make a sophisticated glass-encased jewelry piece that is loaded with charm!
Our sweet rose collage necklaces were made using microscopic slides, which are readily available. Soldering irons are also easy to find at craft stores, but you should use caution when operating the irons and follow all manufacturer’s recommendations for safe handling.
If you are not comfortable using a soldering tool, there are alternative methods for creating glass-encased jewelry. Copper, silver or brass foil may be used to finish the edges of a piece without solder. Pin backs can then be glued to the back of your piece. There are also several pre-made metal frames available for making image jewelry. With the recent surge in jewelry making, many of these supplies can be found online or at your local craft or hobby stores.
- Measure the glass or frame you are using for your project and re-size images so they will fit into these small areas. You can use a single image, or create a tiny collage from multiple images. Images used above are: Flowers Rose Collage - SI0069 and Lily Valley Collage - SI0067
- Print images to paper and cut out exactly on the edge of the artwork. You will need a front and back image if you prefer to see artwork on both sides of the piece.
- Use a glue stick to adhere the front image to the back image.
- Clean the glass with glass cleaner and let it dry thoroughly.
- Sandwich your design between the two pieces of glass or insert image into a pre-made metal jewelry frame.
- Center your sandwiched piece on the sticky side of foil tape. Wrap foil around the glass and overlap ends. Press the sides around your charm sandwich.
- Burnish (flatten) the foil tape down securely on your glass with wooden cuticle or popsicle stick.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for using soldering iron to finish edges and add jump ring.
Look for a post coming soon where you could win your own soldering iron gift basket!!! How do you win? Think about this question: What is your favorite Vintage Workshop image you would love to wear as jewelry? Look for an upcoming post to give your answer to be entered into a drawing to win!! Please note comments made to this post do NOT qualify you to win. Look for that post coming soon.
Until next time…